Sunday, May 24, 2009

Red's a crowd!

I could not resist picking up a bunch of these luscious red tulips at a local veg stand, they are from the Valley in NS so are local too! I usually just try to do one or two, but the bunch all together was fun too.
6" x 6"
Oil on Canvas(SOLD)
Study for painting of Nest Lined with Horsehair
10" x 8" watercolour pencil on Arches 90lb paper

I just finished, I think, the painting resulting from this study. I had a black horse living with us for awhile, quite lovely and truly black. One day I found on the ground this perfect little nest lined with long hairs from Disa's mane and tail. The hairs were perfectly swirled and woven into the grass and twigs to line the inside with the warm soft hairs. I will try to get an image of the larger painting. I am finding photographing oil paintings to be a challenge. Not like drawings or watercolours. It is difficult to get an image without the little highlights of the ridges from brushstrokes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment